NFC Tags in Geocaching

Home Forums Geocaching Topics NFC Tags in Geocaching

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Henderson Kevin Henderson 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ryan Rogers
    Ryan Rogers
    Participant

Getting a survey of what you guys think of NFC Tag Technology in the world of Geocaching. I haven’t seen a Cache in the state like that yet, I know I am currently considered a newbie to the caching community with 300 finds but… I have been looking on other forums and I know that some people are using them. There currently isn’t an attribute for NFC tags and I wonder if some would be upset if that knowledge isn’t known when NFC tags are implemented in a multi or a puzzle. These are different from QR codes, which I have seen on the coastal areas.
    Opinions please.?.

Profile photo of Pork King
    Pork King
    Participant

I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I have been toying with the idea myself. Since there is no attribute, mention might be made on the cache page, but who reads cache pages anymore :/

Profile photo of Kevin Henderson
    Kevin Henderson

Yea I can see them being used like the chirp devices. or the new Apple Tiles. for now you would just have to post it in the description that this type of tech would be needed to find the final cache. I’ve even seen where you had to email a bot address to get an auto response for the final coords. lots of interesting possibilites. keep the reviewers scratching their heads hehe

>
    Profile photo of Bo Baucum
    Bo Baucum
    Participant

It’s an idea i have looked at myself, but as said no attribute for such and unsure of how most long time cachers would take to the idea i have just left it to toying in my mind with the spiders.

Profile photo of Ryan Rogers
    Ryan Rogers
    Participant

How do you feel about not posting in the description and just have a riddle to figure it on your own? sort of a puzzle type deal…

Profile photo of Bo Baucum
    Bo Baucum
    Participant

Myself i would be thrilled to do such and find such as well however the only problem i forsee is that i know of many cachers that faithfully use gps and gps alone to this day. Head into the world with papers in hand and go.

Profile photo of Pork King
    Pork King
    Participant

For those with NFC capable devices (who know how to use it), I don’t see this being a problem. For some old timer with no clue and an old flip phone, just make sure it’s not stage 5 in a 6 stage, 7 mile multicache… :)

Profile photo of Kevin Henderson
    Kevin Henderson

yea ive done a few chirps that did not specificly say they were chirps. so yea I would not be upset with that. but like Pork King said I would have it early in the series so that if your not equiped your not so disappointed.

>
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.